When you think of outdoor water fountains, you may picture a large, elaborate fountain outside a business building or museum. These outdoor fountains, however, are also popular for the use in lawns and gardens of private residences. Not all outdoor fountains are large, intricately carved white marble sculptures. In fact, outdoor fountains come in a variety of sizes and shapes and are made from a variety of materials.
Besides their elegant and impressive look, outdoor fountains have many benefits that you may not have been aware of. Additionally, there are different types to choose from. Below we’ll discuss the benefits, the different types, and how to select the best one for your yard or garden.
Outdoor Fountain Benefits
Outdoor water fountains are great investments that offer many benefits for many years to come with proper care and maintenance. Below are some of the common benefits of outdoor fountains:
- Calming sound and relaxing ambiance. You can use a variety of plants and use a fish pond or two to construct your quiet, peaceful, meditative oasis. While the looks and smell of flowers and other plants utilize your senses to make your brain wander and escape, adding relaxing, constant, ambient sounds can better enhance the atmosphere of your garden, yard or meditation space. Besides their eye-catching appearance, the second thing you likely noticed was the calming trickling sound of the falling water of the fountain. Hearing and seeing the trickling water is soothing, calming, and mesmerizing. Their relaxing ambience easily enhances the serenity of a garden or yard.
- Drown out unpleasant, unwanted noises. Street noise can be distracting and those loud get togethers by the neighbors can be stressful. Outdoor fountains tend to be bigger and louder than their indoor counterparts. This can be of great benefit. Besides the calming sounds they produce, outdoor fountains can also mask and/or lessen the intensity of loud, unpleasant noises such as traffic noise or noise from the neighbor’s loud music. With this benefit, you can still escape into the tranquility of your yard or garden even if you live in a busy area of the city or you live near neighbors who host multiple parties and gatherings.
- Beautiful outdoor décor. It takes a lot of work and effort to keep up with the landscaping around one’s home. More time and money is often required to create that perfect, peaceful, relaxing space where one can withdraw to and feel like they are temporarily removed from the busyness and stress of real life. Outdoor fountains are simple ways to immediately add beauty to one’s outdoor space, whether it’s a meditation garden, a front lawn or a back yard. With the variety of materials used, sizes, shapes, styles and colors of outdoor fountains, one can quickly and easily achieve a certain look and feel of a space with an outdoor fountain. In addition, outdoor fountains often last many years and require less maintenance than plants.
- Attract wildlife. Even if you’re not into birding, it can be peaceful and relaxing to watch beautiful, happily chirping birds drink and bathe in a fountain. What’s more exciting still is to watch larger native animals stop by for a refreshing drink from the fountain. Depending on where one lives, hard to see animals like deer, elk, moose, even bears and cougars can make an appearance, providing awe-inspiring entertainment.
Fountains are great magnets for attracting wild, native species of animals, while discouraging mosquitoes , making them a great, eco-friendly and safe way to tackle pest control and reintroduce various animal species back to the area, benefitting the local ecosystem.
Types of Outdoor Fountains
It is a common mistake to think that there is only one type of yard water fountain. In fact, there are two main outdoor fountain types : seasonal and year round outdoor fountains.
- Seasonal Outdoor Fountains. These types of fountains are the most common type of outdoor fountains. These fountains use re-circulated water to keep the fountain working. Seasonal fountains, however, must be shut down in the winter in places that experience freezing temperatures. If left on in the cold winter, the water can freeze, damaging the fountain. The two types of seasonal fountains include the waterfall fountain and the pedestal fountain. The waterfall fountain is just as it sounds, it features the classical cascade of water. Pedestal fountains feature multiple tiers of flat, bird-bath shaped bowls whereby water cascades down into the bowl of the level below it.
- Year Round Outdoor Fountains. Unlike seasonal fountains, year round fountains can be used all year, including in the cold of winter due to their built-in heating system. The two types of year round fountains are solar outdoor fountains and electrical wall fountains. Solar outdoor fountains have solar panels mounted to them to capture and utilize the energy from sunlight to heat the water. Electrical outdoor wall fountains heat the water with electricity. These fountains require to be placed near an electrical outlet in the winter time. In the warm months electrical outdoor wall fountains don’t need to be plugged into an outlet as the water doesn’t need to be heated.