Motorcycle salvage yards are businesses that buy and sell used motorcycle parts. They are a great way to find affordable and quality parts for an old bike or to restore a vintage motorcycle. They stock parts from a variety of manufacturers and often specialize in certain makes and models. Furthermore, they are also a great source for hard-to-find or rare parts that may be difficult to find elsewhere. Salvage yards often purchase bikes from insurance companies or other sources, so they can offer a wide range of parts from different models, years, and manufacturers.
Benefits of Visiting Motorcycle Salvage Yards
Visiting motorcycle salvage yards can be a great way to find cheap parts, accessories, or even entire motorcycles. They are a great resource for motorcycle enthusiasts looking to restore, repair or build a custom bike. Here are some of the benefits of visiting motorcycle salvage yards:
- Cost Savings: Visiting a motorcycle salvage yard can save you money on parts and accessories. Most salvage yards have a wide variety of parts and accessories at a fraction of the cost of buying them new.
- Variety: They usually have a wide variety of parts, accessories, and even entire motorcycles. This can be a great resource if you are looking for a specific part or accessory that may not be available in traditional stores.
- Knowledgeable Staff: Most salvage yards have knowledgeable staff that can help you find the right parts and accessories for your project. They can also provide tips and advice on how to install or use the parts.
- Quality Parts: They usually carry parts and accessories that are in good condition. The parts may have minor cosmetic wear, but they should still be in good working order.
- Customization: Visiting a motorcycle salvage yard can be a great way to find unique parts and accessories for customizing your bike. You may be able to find parts that are not available in traditional stores.
Ways to find a Motorcycle Salvage Yard?
- Ask Other Motorcyclists: One of the best ways to find a motorcycle salvage yard is to ask other motorcyclists in your area. Chances are, they will know of one or more in the area, as they might have had to use one in the past.
- Search Online: The internet is a great tool for finding almost anything, including a motorcycle salvage yard. Simply type the words “motorcycle salvage yard” into an online search engine to see what comes up. You should be able to find multiple options in your area this way.
- Check Local Classifieds: Local newspapers, websites, and other classifieds are a great way to find motorcycle salvage yards. Many of them advertise in these places, so keep an eye out.
- Call Local Dealerships: If you know of any local motorcycle dealerships, give them a call and ask if they know of any salvage yards in the area. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
- Visit Local Junkyards: While not specifically for motorcycles, many junkyards will have some motorcycles sitting around. It’s worth a look if you’re in the area.
Safety Tips for Visiting a Motorcycle Salvage Yard
- Wear protective gear, including a helmet and gloves, when visiting a motorcycle salvage yard.
- Stay away from live wires, sharp objects, and open flames while in the salvage yard.
- Ask an employee for assistance if you need help locating a part or have any questions.
- Inspect any motorcycle parts you plan to purchase before you buy them.
- Don’t handle motorcycle salvage without the permission of an employee.
- Follow all safety instructions given by the employees.
- Refrain from smoking while in the salvage yard.
- Leave the area immediately if a fire or other emergency breaks out.
- Don’t touch any hazardous materials or chemicals in the salvage yard.
- Make sure you have a way to transport any parts you purchase.
What to Look for When Purchasing Used Motorcycle Parts from a Salvage Yard
- Quality: Make sure to inspect the parts you are looking to purchase for signs of wear and tear. Look for signs of rust or corrosion, cracks, chips, breaks, or other damage.
- Fitment: Be sure to check the fitment of the part you are buying. Make sure it is compatible with your motorcycle model and year.
- Price: Compare prices between different salvage yards to get the best deal.
- Warranty: Ensure that the parts come with a warranty, if possible. This will give you some security in the event that the part does not work or is damaged after installation.
- Return Policy: Make sure to ask about the salvage yard’s return policy. This will help you if you need to return or exchange the part for any reason.